Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Camping at Clear Lake

I spent the weekend camping at Cold Water Cove Campground on Clear Lake with my friend Ben from college, my friends Katie and Phil in Corvallis, and several people I didn't know from Eugene. The style: luxury car camping. I slept with a full-size pillow and we dined on steaks, scrambled eggs with sausage and mushrooms, cherry cobbler (we tried making it with ice cream but even rolling the device downhill several times didn't solidify it, so we had it in liquid form), and other such luxury items. The lake was gorgeous -- lava rocks during the day perfect for basking, bats at dusk, and star-gazing at night. We also managed to hike to a good number of waterfalls, including my favorite, Proxie Falls:


All in all, an awesome weekend. I even felt moderately clean afterward since we stopped at Cougar Hot Springs to soak.

And although I came home to find this on my third-floor balcony:



I also found this:


My artichoke has sprouted three tiny buds! I need to pick up some fertilizer to ensure they grow to maximum size. Awesome weekend, new friends, and artichokes on the way -- all is good in Oregon!

2 comments:

  1. What a nice blog you have! I love hiking and am staying in Corvallis over the summer, visiting my boyfriend who's a OSU student, and today I was browsing through some of William L. Sullivans books about Oregon hikes and there are so many places I'd like to go, but neither me nor my boyfriend have a driver's license, although we have access to a car. It's so frustrating! I've read a lot about Silver Falls State Park, I saw you had written about that too, and I really want to go there, it looks SO beautiful! I first heard about it from a local cab driver. But oh well, I'll figure out some way to get there. We did make a road trip to the beautiful Oregon coast with a friend the other day. At least now, thanks to your blog, I know there's some beautiful parks right here in Corvallis, maybe I can get there on the mountain bike I borrowed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I highly recommend the book Corvallis Trails by Margie Powell, which is where I found out about most of these trails. Shoot me an email at jen dot matteis at yahoo dot com if you want to get in touch. Maybe we can arrange a hiking trip together or at the very least give you a lift.

    ReplyDelete